We all know how difficult it is to get out of the door in the morning and often our healthy breakfast goes by the wayside too..introducing our Breakfast a Go Go. We’re tired of just grabbing a yogurt and a piece of toast is dull. Here is a list of some great new breakfast twists that are healthy and quick.
GO GO Breakfasts
• Dressed Up Yogurt: Start with plain yogurt, add 1 tablespoon honey or jam and then and add nuts and raisins.
• Crepes on the Go: Make a batch of crepes or find them in the freezer section. Top them with cream cheese and fresh fruit for a transportable treat.
• Frozen Smoothie Packs: Use our recipe below to make your own healthy (and inexpensive smoothie packs.)
• Old Fashioned Hard Boiled Eggs: Enough said.
• Breakfast Burritos: Make them and store them in the freezer. They thaw quickly or can be thrown in the microwave.
• Sliced Apple and Cheese Cubes: Packed with protein, this will fill the morning void.
• Peanut Butter Waffle: Spread some peanut butter on a warm waffle.
• Egg McMuffin: 300 cals and loaded with protein, this is the best fast-food choice.
• Oatmeal: If you like the good old-fashioned oats, it’s so time consuming to make in the morning. Make big batches and keep in the fridge. Just heat in the microwave, add your goodies and go!
Individual Smoothie Packs
Prep time: 20 minutes Freeze time: 1 hour
8 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
4 1/2 pint containers fresh blueberries
4 cups blackberries
8 teaspoons wheat germ
4 cups vanilla yogurt
2 ice cube trays
8 1 quart freezer bags
 Fill the ice cube trays halfway full with yogurt. Freeze for 1-3 hours or longer.
 Place all of the fruit in a large bowl and mix.
 Remove the yogurt from the ice cube trays. Prop open a ziptop bag, add wheat germ first. Place approximately 1 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup blackberries and 4 yogurt cubes into the individual bags. Seal the bags. Place all of the bags in one large ziptop bag and affix the label.
Each bag makes 2 large smoothies. This makes approximately 8 individual packs.
Helpful hint: Make sure your ice cube trays are the flexible kind or the yogurt might be hard to get out.
1. Pour the contents of the bag in the blender with 1 cup of lowfat milk. If you have bananas, place a banana in there too, it makes it creamier.