Our Bacon Lettuce and Tomato Insalata has got to be the PERFECT summer recipe. It’s the healthiest BLT around.
Bacon Lettuce and Tomato Insalata
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 802
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 90g
Saturated Fat 19g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 12g
Monounsaturated Fat 54g
Total Carbohydrates 156g
Dietary Fiber 26g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1/2 pound thick-sliced bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 shallots , minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme (can use dried)
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes, stemmed
- 1/2 loaf French bread, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 green onions , white and light green parts, sliced
- Heat grill to medium heat or heat grill pan until very hot but not smoking.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium high heat until crisp, about 6-8 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, discarding the bacon grease. Add the olive oil to the skillet and scrape up brown bits. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, mix the shallot, vinegar, thyme and salt and pepper. Whisk in the oil from the skillet in a steady stream to make a dressing.
- Using a brush, lightly coat the tomatoes with some of the dressing. Grill the tomatoes until the skins begin to char and crack, about 5 minutes, turning frequently. Carefully remove the tomatoes from the grill (or grill pan) and pour the tomatoes into a bowl.
- Brush the cut sides of the bread with some of the dressing and grill until toasted, about 1 minute. Remove and cut into large croutons.
- Arrange the lettuce in a serving bowl and add the tomatoes and croutons. Whisk the dressing one more time and spoon some dressing over the salad. Place on individual serving plates and top with bacon and green onions; drizzle with remaining dressing.
- *If using dried herbs, reduce amount by 1/3 to 1/2 according to taste.
- per serving: 577 calories; 13 grams protein; 47 grams total fat; 6 grams fiber; 12 grams saturated fat; 28 grams carbohydrates; 38 mgs cholesterol; 681 mgs sodium; 16 WW points plus