Doesn’t everyone need more polenta in their life?
Kale and Mushrooms with Creamy Polenta
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 749
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 85g
Saturated Fat 35g
Trans Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 7g
Monounsaturated Fat 37g
Total Carbohydrates 154g
Dietary Fiber 10g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 bunch kale rinsed, stemmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 4 soy bacon slicess
- 2 ounces oyster mushroom caps thinly sliced
- 2 ounces cremini mushrooms thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the kale until tender, about 6 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring the milk, water, and cornmeal to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until thick, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the soy bacon in a medium skillet over medium high heat until crisp. Remove to a paper towel to drain, then crumble. Drain bacon grease from the skillet, if there is any.
- Add the mushrooms and olive oil to the skillet and stir in the kale and the bacon. Add the garlic and broth and simmer over medium heat until the broth is slightly reduced, about 6 minutes. Stir in thyme and season to taste with salt and pepper. Whisk the butter and Parmesan into the polenta and divide among the plates. Top with the mushroom mixture and serve.
- per serving: 457 calories; 15 grams protein; 30 grams total fat; 4 grams fiber; 11 grams saturated fat; 35 grams carbohydrates; 47 mgs cholesterol; 453 mgs sodium; 13 WW points plus